Is Chocolate Really Lethal For Dogs?

Here's an age old question! 

Fact or Myth?

Keep reading to find out as well as any other foods that could be lethal for your dog!

Watching our 10 lb dog running around after eating a bowl of Hershey's Kisses just didn't seem right...

All I have ever heard was that dogs are allergic to chocolate and that it should and can kill them. 

So what's the real answer?

Tim Hacket, a vet at Colorado State University says the hazard is most likely overblown. 

The problem really has to do with the size of the dog and the quantity of the chocolate. 

Small dosages most likely will not hurt them in anyway. 

So why is chocolate so bad for dogs and not for us?

Because chocolate contains a family of compounds called methylxanthines, which comes for the cacao tree. (Try saying that one!)

This class of compounds includes caffeine and a chemical called theobromine. 

This will most likely lead to vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. 

Less than 4 ounces of chocolate at one sitting can be potentially lethal for a small dog!

Around every big holiday, there is usually 3-4 dogs hospitalized with chocolate poisoning at Colorado State, which means probably 3-4 dogs per big city. 

The good news is that Hacket, a vet at Colorado State University has only seen 1 dog die from chocolate overdose. And he believes that the dog may have had an underlying disease to cause this. 

Ultimately, if you are wanting to be safe, then don't feed your dog any chocolate! 

If they get ahold of some, keep an eye on them and if they start vomiting you may want to reach out to your vet. 

I hope that helps!

P.S. if you're needing an odor control cleaner for your carpet Plus a Free black light, then click here!

Other foods that may be lethal for your dog according to ASPCA:

Alcohol

Avocado 

Citrus

Coconut & Coconut oil

Nuts

Grapes & Raisins

Milk & Dairy 

Raw meat, eggs and bones