How To Keep Your Litter Box From Stinking
How often have you walked into the room & smelled your cats litter box as soon as you walked in?
Have you ever thought it would be possible to smell it from a mile away?
Yes, cats are great pets, but just like anything, they smell really bad from time to time!
The good thing is that this can usually be taken care of pretty easily!
A few ways that can help you start eliminating that smell!
1. Scoop the box daily
- Old feces & urine can really start to smell the house up! Bacteria begins to grow & then reproduces.
- Don't let feces sit in the litter box for long!
- A litter scoop & odor seal bags are all you need for this!
2. Replace the litter twice a week
- This seems like a bit much, especially since we all live busy lives!
- If you're wanting to test the limits, and just replace it once a week then you may want to try out a litter box spray deodorizer to keep the stink in!
3. Replace the litter box once a year
- Why? Because overtime your cat's claws can make small grooves in the bottom of the box which helps trap old urine & feces.
- That means a stinkier box! So make sure you change it out yearly
4. Use litter deodorizers
- Everyone wants a fresher living area right? Deodorizers will help you & your cat do that!
- Using a stick on deodorizer or litter spray deodorizer will be your best bet here.
- Spray the box before adding more litter and spray the litter before the cats get back in after cleaning!
5. Keep the litter box in a well-ventilated area
- This is a big mistake for some cat owners! If you keep your litter box in a small, enclose space the area will smell up quicker and your cat may be less apt to use it because of the smell which means it may go other places!
- Keep your litter box in a bigger area that maybe has a window next to it or an area with a fan.
- Also, using a deodorizer to set next to the litter box will help keep the room smelling fresh for you and your cat!
- If your cat does venture off to go in other places, stay prepared with a urine odor remover for quick, easy clean up.