7 Fall Pet Safety Tips

Cold Weather is a Common Pet Killer

Please keep in mind not to leave your pets outside for prolonged periods of time, no longer than 15-20 minutes. And if you do, depending on their coat they may need a winter jacket. Any temperature below 32 degrees can cause dogs and cats to suffer hypothermia and frostbite, and most pets need a temperature above 70 to be completely comfortable.  Especially for puppies, senior pets and smaller animals. If you have a dog that you shave during hot summer months, let them have their fur coat for fall as it could help keep them warm during cooler days/nights.

Beware of Ticks

It’s still tick season and playing in the cool autumn leaves is one of the many ways your pooch could get them. Consider using a natural tick repellent such as Tickless to help protect your pet. Tickless is safe, nontoxic and chemical FREE!

Keep School Supplies Out of Paws’ Reach

Fall is back-to-school time, and those of you with young children know that means stocking up on items like glue sticks, pencils and magic markers. Although these items are considered low toxicity to pets, gastrointestinal upset and blockages can occur if ingested.

Make Pet Sitting Arrangements Now

Make holiday arrangements with your dog walker, pet sitter or doggy day care NOW. As the holidays approach, most of us will get busier and possibly have to travel. Take time out and plan ahead so you can make the holidays easier on your pets.

Be Careful with Holiday Treats

Aside from known hazards such as chocolate, cooked bones, raw bread dough and many fruits and vegetables can also be life threatening to pets.

Be Careful with Decorations

Many shiny new decorations look like really fun toys to your pets. Make sure decorations are displayed far enough away from your pets, many of them contain toxic metals and can become choking hazards.

Be Cautious of Rodenticides and Cold Weather Poisons

The use of rat and mouse poisons increase in the fall as rodents seek shelter from the cooler temperatures by attempting to move indoors. Rodenticides are highly toxic to pets and, if ingested, the results could be fatal. If you must use these products, please do so with extreme caution and put them in places inaccessible to your pets.