FREE SHIPPING OVER $39!

Valentine’s Day- Safety Tips For Your Pets


February is finally here which means Valentine's Day is right around the corner...

Did you know that in 2020 over $1.7 billion dollars was spent on pets for Valentines Day?

I think it's safe to say we do love our pets!

Unfortunately Valentine's Day can take a turn for the worst for our pets if we don't keep certain items out of reach. 

Did you know that each year our poison control experts see a rise in cases around February 14, many involving chocolate or lilies, a flower that’s potentially fatal to cats?

Valentine’s Day can be as much fun for pets as it is for humans—as long as dangerous items are kept out of paws’ reach!

Below are a few tips to ensure a safe and happy Valentine's Day for our furry friends:

 

Pet-Safe Bouquets

When sending a floral arrangement to someone with a cat, specify that it contain no lilies—and when receiving an arrangement, sift through and remove all dangerous flora. If your pet is suffering from symptoms such as lethargy, vomiting or diarrhea, he may have ingested an offending flower or plant. Use our online toxic and nontoxic plant libraries as visual guides of what shouldn’t be in your bouquets.

 

Forbidden Chocolate & Candies

Seasoned pet lovers know that all types of chocolate are potentially life-threatening when ingested by pets. Methylxanthines are caffeine-like stimulants that affect gastrointestinal, neurologic and cardiac function—they can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, seizures and an abnormally elevated heart rate. The high-fat content in lighter chocolates can potentially lead to a life-threatening inflammation of the pancreas. Not only is chocolate bad but if ingested, gum, candy and other treats that include this sweetener can result in hypoglycemia (a sudden drop in blood sugar). This can cause your pet to suffer depression, loss of coordination and seizures. 

 

Careful with Cocktails

Because animals are smaller than humans, a little bit of alcohol can do a lot of harm, causing vomiting, diarrhea, lack of coordination, central nervous system depression, tremors, difficulty breathing, metabolic disturbances and even coma. Potentially fatal respiratory failure can also occur if a large amount is ingested. If you believe your pet has ingested alcohol contact posion control or your vet immediately.

 

 Keep Roses & Thorny Flora Out of Reach

Don’t let pets near roses or other thorny-stemmed flowers. Biting, stepping on or swallowing their sharp, woody spines can cause serious infection if a puncture occurs. De-thorn your roses far away from pets and dispose of them to where your pet cannot access them.

 

Playing with Fire

Candles smell great and are a wonderful way to set the mood but leaving a candle unattended with pets is a no-no! Your furry friend can burn themselves or cause a fire by knocking over unattended candles so make sure to blow them out when you leave the room!

 

Wrap It Up

Gather up tape, ribbons, bows, wrapping paper, cellophane and balloons after presents have been opened—if swallowed, these long, stringy and “fun-to-chew” items can get lodged in your pet’s throat or digestive tract, causing her to choke or vomit.

THOUSANDS OF POSITIVE REVIEWS
3-5 DAY SHIPPING
MONEY BACK GUARANTEE